“Singing has physical and mental benefits for individuals, and social benefits for communities and groups.”
- Improved airflow in the upper respiratory tract can counteract the symptoms of colds and flu.
- It improves neurological functioning and physical posture.
- Singing makes us feel content allowing us to be less aware of our physical problems
- It is an aerobic activity improving oxygen flow and making us more alert.
- Singing helps us to live ‘in the present moment’. It allows us to forget about our worries and concentrate fully on one activity.
- Singing floods the brain with healthy chemicals and gives us a natural ‘high’.
- It allows us to be part of a bigger group; it raises self esteem and confidence.
- Singing boosts the ‘memory muscle’.
- It allows for shared emotion and can help build new friendships. It reduces stress and can alleviate the feelings of isolation and anxiety.
- Shared experience gives a sense of community and team building.
- Learning something new together from a common base is a good ice breaker.
- The sense of achievement from completing a song in harmony is a great motivator.
- To heighten and improve listening skills
- To focus on a shared goal made up of many parts.